From:
Brenda Collings <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brenda Collings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 2015 11:48:55 -0700
Hello Autumn and Amanda,
I too have had students in my TBL classes with disabilities - both visible and invisible, most recently Very poor vision, and Mental Health issues.  Fortunately, my classes do not usually exceed 60 students.

The student with poor vision - I sent the IRATS and Midterm and Final exam to our Student Services office and they created an expanded printed version for her to work from.  She was given more time for fortunately she could begin earlier than our class time and join the class in time for the TRATS and activities.  She discussed her limitations with her team mates and they worked hard to ensure she understood the activities and that she participated in the solutions. She is a bright student and finished the course in the top 10% of the class.  She also had a note-taker in the class, and computer visual aids.

The second student with mental health issues completed the IRATS, Midterm and Final with Student services as well and was given extra time. He became very comfortable with his team and the class and regularly participated.

We have a TBL discussion group on our campus - University of New Brunswick, Saint John Campus and at our last meeting we discussed this very topic.  In attendance was the Manager of our Student Accommodation Services.   We discussed how optimally the student would not have to disclose their disability to their fellow students - and this is difficult to do with TBL.  We have marked this as a topic for additional discussion.

With TBL spreading worldwide, and the increasing need to adapt to diverse students - this would be a good topic for a conference workshop and some research on best practices.