From:
Bill Goffe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 2015 16:07:14 -0400
William -

For what it is worth, I don't grade application exercises. I find that
students are fully engaged with out doing this. In fact, there is some
evidence that people do less creative work when there is extrinsic
motivation (I don't have references handy, but this is a key point of Dan
Pink's book "Drive" and it is covered in his TED talk as well).

Also, if you grade it, they're likely to share application exercises with
students who take the course later, so you'll have to write new ones each
semester. As most find it hard to to write AEs, you're adding
significantly to your workload.

You can certainly still standard midterms and finals in TBL.

    - Bill

> Hello TBL Community,
>
> I am a bit of a novice TBLer so looking for some advice if you would be so kind. I am working on a way to grade the in-class applications, as it is a substantial part of the course expectations and student work. I was thinking of doing this in a two-fold manner - 1.) having a "right" answer to the applications that the groups could scratch off on the IFAT form after they have discussed and debated across groups (I would likely make this open to appeals as well); and 2.) developing some type of process feedback form in which each group would get a score at the end of a session (assessing things such as team interactions/dynamics, engagement, sound rationale behind answers during simultaneous reporting, others?!?).
>
> I would love any feedback or resources if there are any out there.
>
> Many thanks!
>

> William Massey, PhD
> Assistant Professor of Occupational Therapy
> School of Health Professions
> Concordia University Wisconsin
> Office: HS 143
> 262-243-2073