From:
"Smith, David W" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Smith, David W
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 16:34:18 -0600
This hasn't happened to me since I no longer let the class decide on
these weights. No one seems to miss that activity much.

Do you want to do something simple or complicated?

I assume you want to avoid appearing arbitrary, even if you are being
arbitrary, which I think you will have to be.

Business schools teach negotiation, which has a large literature. Since
you are teaching genetics there is no lesson for the class to learn
there.

One approach which could still be implemented is to give your own
choices of weights, then give a deadline, eg, 20 minutes. If there is no
agreement on a different set of weights by the deadline, then yours
prevail. You could call on objectivity by using average weights from
past classes if you have them. Or you can pick the weights you think
worked best of all your past classes.

You could arbitrate. That is, let each side of the negotiation put forth
the choice it wants and make an argument why that is best for everyone
in the class. Place a high premium on objective standards and
universality of the choice. As the arbitrator you then choose one of
choices. No explanation, no excuses, and no third choice of your own. It
has been put on your table and you will decide. Arbitrarily, since you
are an arbitrator. But don't make this a surprise, lay it out at the
start and explain that this is one place it could end up. One side gets
what it wants and the other doesn't. Some are winners and some are
losers. (Is there a connection with evolution here?)

You could consider postponing the decision for a longer period of time,
while class continues, eg, two to three weeks. If there is no agreement
in that time then your choice of weights becomes the one to be used.
Many students will be happy with this and to achieve it they merely have
to do nothing.

It sounds like the last group is taking the requirement for consensus as
an invitation to steamroll everyone else. They might not even like their
own weights after three weeks. Not if there are a couple of freeloaders
in the group.

Allowing 20 minutes or 3 weeks depends mostly on how important you feel
coming to closure is. In either case, go on with class after 20 minutes,
you have too much real stuff to do.

You might point out that the exam material will be identical regardless
of how much time is spent on choosing grade weights. This implies that
the uncompromising group is interfering with everyone's exam success,
including their own.

Try reading a book called "Getting to Yes" by some folks at the Harvard
Negotiation Project. This includes some tips on how to move things
along.

Regards,

David Smith

Biostatistics Division
University of Texas School of Public Health
San Antonio Campus