From:
"Meeuwsen, Harry" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Meeuwsen, Harry
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 2011 10:35:55 -0600
I don't know if any of you have ever seen or attended one of Ed Prather's https://www.as.arizona.edu/people/faculty/prather.html workshops on teaching large classes (over 1000 students, yes you read that right). He has used electronic response devises in the past, but has gon back to using simple paper answer cards because he wants the students to feel accountable. When they answer a review question he posted on the screen, they show their answer by holding up their card in front of their chest (not up in the air). He can quickly scan whether the class is on track (they conducted the research) and can pick out the students who are not participating. Yes, there is no record but he has developed numerous other strategies and tools to ensure the students stay busy during the entire session. And he uses collaborative learning each session, even though it is not TBL. A number of faculty members here have been using these cards and like them a lot as do the students.
Harry