From:
"Smith, David W" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Smith, David W
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:43:11 -0500
I learn a great deal from the results of RATs.

1.  I can identify things to talk about in the absence of questions.
2.  Students make a lot of notational errors.  I can mention them and
ask them to use notation correctly.  I usually point out that these
errors are in the same class as poor grammar.  No one can understand
anyone who doesn't use good written English.
3.  I can identify things to emphasize in my mini-lecture next year.
4.  I can identify potential exam questions.  Sometimes these are
identical to the RAT questions.  I tell everyone this.
5.  I can identify individuals who are not doing their readings
consistently or carefully.

Regards,

David Smith

David W. Smith, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Associate Professor, Biometry
The University of Texas School of Public Health
San Antonio Branch Campus
voice: (210) 562-5512
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
  or [log in to unmask]