From:
Herb Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Herb Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2010 12:17:29 -0500
There must be something in the air this semester. For the first time in
a while I was a little concerned about the appearance of grade inflation
because it looked like everyone was going to get an A. For a little bit
of context, this was a Human Growth and Development course. Over 90% of
the students were pre-nursing or allied health majors. More than 60% of
the class was over 30 years old. There were only 20 students and until
the last two weeks only 3 students had an absence. So you had dedicated,
older than average, motivated students. In a small class (even by
community college standards).

Still I decided to look at how the grade weights washed out. The iRAT's
had the lowest average (73%) and accounted for 5% of their grade. The
T-RAT's had 94% average and accounted for 19% of their grade. The rest
of the items spread out accounting for between 5 and 14% of the final
grade. When I looked at the grouping I felt ok about the the final
results. Homework accounted for 24% of the grade (with a 95% average).
Teamwork accounted for 50% of their grade with a a 93.5% average and,
individual assessment accounted for 19% of their grade with an 81 %
average. There is also a professor rating representing 7% of their grade
with an 83% average.

Incidentally, the top half would have had A's without the professor
rating (which is based on attendance, homework, iRATs, mid-term grade
and class contribution). The lower half would have had B's. As it is 10%
got B's.

--

Herb Coleman,Ph.D
Dir. Instructional Computing and Technology

---Professor Melvin Tolson
    from the motion picture "The Great Debaters"