From:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2011 11:13:48 -0600
Jonathan and Eli,

Answering questions will improve pre-class preparation but, there are
also two limitations. One is that unless the questions "count", you'll
only get a minimum effort. The other is that their is NO peer
accountability to the other group members. Thus, motivation from/for the
group (or in some cases you may end up with teams) is questionable. In
addition to creating peer accountability, the RATs accomplish two
CRITICAL things that individually answering questions simply can NOT
accomplish. One is the opportunity for peer-teaching--which boosts
everyone's understanding. The other, and I think the most critical, is
the powerful and positive impact of the RATs on the development of
TEAMs. In fact, I would even go so far as to say that if you don't use
the Readiness Assurance Process, you are using small groups but, you are
not using Team-Based Learning

Larry

-----
Larry K. Michaelsen
Professor of Management
University of Central Missouri
Dockery 400G
Warrensburg, MO 64093

660/429-9873 voice/cell phone
660/543-8465 fax

>>> "Flacker, Jonathan" <[log in to unmask]> 12/14/11 8:34 AM >>>
I also use team based learning for our aging module, but not the RAT
either.  We have had them do a variety of activities from group
developed pod casts, to collaborative responses to questions about aging
physiology, to group development of slides on a variety of topic with
peer teaching. I am also interested in the RAT format but I don't feel
like I probably have the infrastructure here to pull it off.

Jonathan M Flacker MD, AGSF
Medical Director
The Emory Clinic at Wesley Woods
Associate Division Director For Resident and Student Education
404-728-6363
on Twitter @SeniorJazz