From:
Faye Tolar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Faye Tolar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2016 05:56:06 -0800
Before I used TBL, I had an attendance policy that permitted students to miss a week's work of classes without a grade change.  After a week's worth of absences, the students grade would be lowered 5% for each additional absence.  I allowed students to make-up quizzes and exams at that time.
Upon starting TBL, I realize that team work cannot be made up so I changed the attendance policy.  Because iRATs and tRATs and team exercises cannot be made up, a week's worth of individual and team quizzes and team exercises are dropped from the gradebook (lowest scored).  In other words, for my classes, the lowest score for two iRATS, tRATS, and team exercises are dropped from the gradebook for all students.  This allows students to miss two classes without a penalty.  I do not question why students miss class.  I will add that there is very good attendance in my classes.