From:
Staci Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Staci Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2008 16:00:43 -0500
Hi Paul,

I am fairly new to TBL and am still learning, but I am happy to share what I
have learned and used.  I have been using TBL in my biology courses for the
past 2 semesters.  I also teach Biology for Non-Majors in our Evening Adult
program at Southern Wesleyan University.  This class is 5 4-hour sessions
which covers all of Essential Biology (20 chapters).

I am currently in the 'chemistry' section of a traditional Biology for Non-Majors
course and have a couple of activities that I have used with my class.
-Our first activity was to make a poster showing covalent, ionic, and hydrogen
bonds.  I wanted them to describe these bonds in a way that an elementary
school student would understand.  We then posted all of the posters,
observed them, and talked about what we did and did not like.
-Our last class period, I had my TAs build fatty acids, glycerol, glucose, amino
acids, and water with molecular models.  Each team worked as a member of
the FDA to tell me if a fat-free cake mix could yield the monomers in front of
them.  This activity required them to identify each molecular model and
determine which monomers were part of a lipid.  We then had class discussion
after teams revealed their 'decision'.

Another tip I received from a wise instructor was to use 'muddiest-point'
papers.  The students take a minute at the end of class to write the 1 thing
they are most confused about.  It is great information for me to know what I
can help them with - either by posting information online or by addressing it
during our next class period.

I hope this information is helpful to you.  If you have a great idea of what to
use in your class, I woud love to know about it.  Good luck!

Staci N. Johnson
Adjunct Professor of Biology
Southern Wesleyan University
Phone - 644-5218