From:
Fritz Laux <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Fritz Laux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2007 10:55:02 -0500
Sandy:

I say that honesty is the best policy.  If, because of curving, the peer
evaluation really is zero-sum, then there's no point in obscuring that.
You'll exchange your current unhappy students, who don't understand curving,
for a smarter set who question your sincerity.

As far as them being unhappy, it depends on the course.  In
business/economics, what I teach, I'd try to have a sympathetic discussion
with them on how some work settings involve zero-sum competition (and that
it's good to experience and think about this).  Promotion and recognition
tournaments are generally zero-sum.  Help them grow.

Best,

Fritz Laux