From:
Anthony Mento <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anthony Mento <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2012 14:58:48 -0400
Hi Vanessa,

It certainly is a scary proposition when course enrollment is so low.  I had one success story with two teams and one not so successful.

Last fall, I had 7 students in my EMBA Leadership course.  I formed a team of 4 and 3 students.  The students were nice, super prepared, and willing to share their experiences.  The TBL application exercises discussions(I use Harvard cases for all of these) were some of the most thoughtful between team interactions that I have heard in almost 30 years of graduate teaching.

This past spring i had two teams, one of 4 and one of 3 in an MBA class.  Overall, students seemed unprepared for some TBL class applications.  The team of 3 had a consistently unreliable student in terms of class attendance and preparation who managed to drag down the quality of learning for the class as a whole.  The discussions were ok at best.

Tony Mento