From:
Martin Blaine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Martin Blaine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2014 12:42:56 -0700
Hello all,

I am one class into my first TBL experience and I have hit my first
roadblock.  I am very excited about using the grade weights as our first
group discussion, but I am getting some pushback from other folks in my
department that, I believe, might hinder the group discussion.

I am teaching a Financial Accounting course that is taught in 30-35 other
sections on campus.  In ALL of those other sections, the individual exams
are 70% of the student's grade.  While I am OK with ending up at that
percentage, I doubt that, left to their own devices, the groups will end up
at the same %.  So, I am stuck either letting the groups decide how to
"spend" the other 30% or, ending up with a lower (or potentially much lower)
% of the student's grade being a reflection of their individual exam work.

Any advice on how to deal with the potentially lower stakes group discussion
or the faculty ire that I will get if I end up with a lower % would be MUCH
appreciated.

Martin