From:
Brent Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brent Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2011 18:56:52 -0800
Hello TBL folks,

For your consideration and comment, I am posting a link to a concept
paper for a research project through which I will assess the viability of a
team learning model with remedial students at a local college in
Northeastern Japan.

Those of you who are familiar with Japanese higher education know that
collaborative processes and higher education are mutually exclusive
concepts. Considering the Western perception of Japan as a
collaborative society, this seems to reflect a fundamental dissonance
between societal values and institutional practices. I had an opportunity
to discuss this dissonance during a workshop on small-group learning
processes I gave to the faculty of a Japanese university in July
(http://www.gakushuu.org/humans/learning/team-based-learning-
resources). The concepts met with significant resistance; but, triggered
enough interest that the University asked me to conduct research to
test the viability of small-group learning on their campus with student
volunteers.

I merged ideas from TBL and the University of Phoenix Learning Team
model to create a process that I think will be most effective for this
specific group and project. Since TBL folks contributed to my project,
you are welcome to gather ideas from here. I also would appreciate
hearing your thoughts, especially if you can offer suggestions for
improving the process.

One thing I ask is that this document remains within this group; please
do not distribute this document without asking me.

https://docs.google.com/open?
id=0B2M6UHnEAG6JNDYwMWE3ZGYtZjYzNC00YThlLWI5YWEtZDdhMDc5O
TIyYWE3

Regards,

Brent Duncan, Lead Faculty
University of Phoenix School of Business
Asia Campus, Misawa Air Base, Japan