From:
Josie Fraser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Josie Fraser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2014 15:11:43 +0000
Hi Kevin,
I¡¯m curious about how you define team roles with the students? We are
allowing the teams to figure out how to work together in their own way as
they work through lots of different tasks in the application
exercises/tRATs and letting the roles ¡®take care of themselves¡¯ - we don¡¯t
explicitly discuss working as a team / theory around team roles or
anything similar.
Would you be willing to say a bit more about how you define team roles,
and how you ask students to change their roles when you switch the teams
around?
I wouldn¡¯t have considered what you describe as a ¡¯standard¡¯ TBL practice,
so I¡¯m very intrigued to hear more about how it works.
We¡¯ve found having the teams together all year across all their courses
leads to really well-functioning teams (for the vast majority of
students), figuring out how they work best together over a whole series of
activities is very useful for them and they bond really well. Consequently
there¡¯s always resistance (a little good-hearted moaning and half-joking
begging to stay with x or y colleague) when we switch teams up for the
following academic year, though our students do ¡°get it¡± and understand
that you have to be able to work with different people during working life
and we¡¯re modelling that with new teams each year.
Josie

¡ª
Dr Josie A Fraser
MPharm Programme Leader / Senior Lecturer in Pharmacology
Bradford School of Pharmacy

Faculty of Life Sciences
University of Bradford
Bradford