From:
Francine Glazer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2007 08:55:03 -0500
Anna,

Another thing you might try in a hybrid format that has worked well for
me is problem-based learning.  I tried this last spring in my Genetics
class, and it worked very well.  We used class time to start off the
problem, and then periodically to regroup, ask more questions, etc.
Much of the research and compilation of information was done online in
their team discussion forums.  We ended with an in-class role play that
tied everything together.  All of the above was done as teams; at the
end of the sequence, I asked each student to individually write a
reflection on the process so I could get some feedback, as I hadn't
tried this before.  Students found this activity one of the best parts
of a class they overall enjoyed very much.

If you'd like more info, you are welcome to email me.
Fran

--
Francine S. Glazer, Ph.D.
Professor, Biological Sciences