From:
Molly Espey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2007 14:52:27 -0500
I have also allowed cheat sheets in the past, but have decided NOT to do
it any longer.  I think most of the students spend too much time trying to
write EVERYTHING down without thinking about it, assuming they'll have the
information in front of them during the RAT so they don't have to "know"
anything.  This seems more of a problem at the introductory
(freshman/sophomore) level than for juniors and seniors who are better at
studying and note taking.

I haven't actually calculated whether or not there is a statistically
significant difference, but in a quick comparison of grades on the same
RAT across different semesters, with and without cheat sheets, there
doesn't appear to be any difference.  It makes the students more
comfortable to have the cheat sheet, but I think it ends up wasting time
for the majority of students, again, particularly for younger students, in
my experience.

Molly Espey