From:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2010 05:56:41 -0500
Diane,

Based on lots of experience, either your students are very different or I'll bet you are missing something in the way you are running the classes.  My first guess is that you aren't using the IF-AT's.  Is that accurate?

Larry

-----
Larry K. Michaelsen
Professor of Management
University of Central Missouri
Dockery 400G
Warrensburg, MO 64093

660/429-9873 voice <---NEW ATT cell phone
660/543-8465 fax

>>> Dianne York <[log in to unmask]> 10/22/10 5:46 AM >>>
Jim,

The first semester I used teams, I had 3 or 4 students, from different sections
of the same course, approach me after receiving their first peer eval score,
and request to work alone. I explained to them how it would work: that their
iRAT (although I wasn't calling it that then) would count double, and that they
would need to complete all the activities and team assignments on their own.
Each one agreed. If I recall correctly, 2 of them withdrew from the course
eventually. I believe another one or 2 finished and did pass the course. It
seemed to me that on the activities and assignments they had something of an
advantage because they could watch and listen to other students, and perhaps
even copy their answers as they were being discussed.

Fortunately, I've not had similar requests since, and I'd be much more
resistant if I did have one.

The student that doesn't get along with her team presently has told me she
doesn't want to work alone. But I'm not sure that thought is enough to
motivate her to change her behavior.

Dianne York, M.S., MT(ASCP)
Lecturer, Biology
Lincoln University, PA