From:
Jenny Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jenny Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2012 09:41:51 +0000
Hi Sandy

We are almost at the end of our first TBL module and this issue has caused us challenges - more for those who miss some of the tests with extenuating circumstances than fails.  This is what we have planned for this first year.

We have four Units and therefore four iRATs and four tRATs.  If a student misses any test without extenuating circumstances then they get zero for both the iRAT and tRAT.  If they miss more than two tests (e.g. One unit test comprising iRAT and tRAT) then they will be referred and have to take the refer exam later in the year which will be a 90 minute MCQ test.

Those with extenuating circumstances who miss more than two tests will be discussed at exam board and a decision taken then.  Those who have to repeat the year with attendance will have to repeat the module but I doubt they will remember all the answers but our plan is to shuffle them around each year!

My main concern is that those missing the tests are missing the valuable learning opportunities.

Best wishes

Jenny

Dr Jenny Morris
Associate Professor (Senior Lecturer) Health Studies
Faculty of Health, Education & Society
University of Plymouth
Knowledge Spa
Truro