From:
Sharon Fumia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sharon Fumia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 2010 13:12:03 -0500
In the latest issue of NEA Today (January/February 2010, pg. 38-40) I read about Team-based Learning. The premise behind "TBL" was that it could improve attendance, pre-class preparation on the part of students (such as independent reading out of class - a weakness with my Middle School ESL students), academic performance, and interpersonal skills. The article described Readiness Assurance Tests called iRAT and gRAT, the "i" meaning individual and the "g" meaning group. I decided to give it a try in their area of weakness, Independent Reading Skills, including the actual reading of materials assigned, as well as the ability to connect, apply and think critically about the information read.

 A reading assignment was given as homework the day before. I explained to students that they would take an "iRAT"...an individual test associated with the reading. Then I told them that after the iRAT was collected, they would have the opportunity to raise their average grade by re-taking the test as a "gRAT" at which time, students could work together to be sure they had they correct answers. To ensure that there were no slackers they were told that if they passed the iRAT, the gRAT counted toward their average. If they could not pass the iRAT, the gRAT would not count for them. Additionally, to ensure that they actually read the material the night before, each section of the test was timed, leaving only enough time to check quickly for a fact here and there. It was also good preparation for the timed NJASK.

There have been four readings to date. At first the grades were still rather low, with only half of the class benefiting from the gRAT. But by the second reading and testing, grades inproved significantly. Because some students would not change their answers, or became followers instead of being confident in their answers, I decided to give only one copy of the gRAT to them, allowing them to choose a reader/recorder. They had to come to a concensus on the answers, meanng much more was at stake. I began to hear comments such as, "Show me where it says that." or "Can you prove that answer?" What a difference! All of their grades have improved drastically in Reading Comprehension, and the best part is that they actually look forward to the testing now. I would definitely recommend this "Team Based Learning" to anyone.
Sharon Fumia
ESL Teacher
Roosevelt Middle School