From:
Michael Sweet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Sweet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:40:05 -0600
Hey Everyone,

In my data collection about first-time TBL experiences, a theme is beginning
to develop around what can make a TBL class "go bad."  Specifically, a loud
critic or group of critics can generate an infectious negative classroom
atmosphere that festers and worsens.

I am curious how many of you have experienced this and what strategies you
used in the moment to respond to the critic but hold your ground (what
worked?  what did *not* work?).

Information on this pivotal moment in the social development of the
classroom will be VERY helpful.

I know of one teacher who had a great first experience with TBL, but her
second class mutinied so dramatically that it scared her back to
chalk-n-talk.

Help me prevent that from happening again!

-M