From:
Marjorie Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marjorie Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 2010 19:11:37 -0600
When this type of incident happened once in my class, it was complicated by
demographics. The student was about 15 years older than the others in her
group and she was African-American in a class that was mostly not
African-American. For one thing, she could have been conditioned by
previously difficult group situations in which she had been marginalized.
And for the second issue, I couldn't be sure that by being firm about the
group participation that I wasn't reacting because of her skin color.