From:
"Sweet, Michael S" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sweet, Michael S
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2010 09:56:47 -0500
Larry did it quite a bit, I think.

I helped a teacher here mentor a set of teaching assistants who happened to be undergrads.

There were four of them, and they each individually had to write three questions for each RAP (for a total of 12), then come to consensus on which five should be included in on the RAP (along with the teacher's questions), and--as a team--the assistants had to choose which ONE question they felt would have the best item analysis statistics once the students took the RAP and the numbers came back.

They had great fun, and learned a TON about how to write good questions!

(I know most of you know this, but for those who haven't gotten a chance to take our MCQ Fundamentals workshop, an "item analysis" is a report on things like:

1)  How many students answered it correctly (how hard it was)

2)  How well it correlated with performance on the test overall (if good students do worse on it but worse students do better on it, then it needs some attention)

3)  The effectiveness of the distracters (if not a single student chose one of your distracters, then it's not working)

... stuff like that.)

-M