From:
Bill Goffe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2012 15:33:17 -0400
The thing that stuck me is how in places the student seems more concerned
about points than learning. Of course, this is really common, but I two
articles that I read recently on this point that have stuck with me:

"Dead Ideas in Teaching"
  http://www.magnapubs.com/newsletter/the-teaching-professor/story/5908/
  (you'll need an account), it summarizes
  Pike. D. L. (2011). The tyranny of dead ideas in teaching and learning:
  Midwest Sociological Society presidential address 2010. The Sociological
  Quarterly, 52 (1), 1-12.
  (which I haven't read; sigh). Here's two quotes from it:
     - "grading motivates getting grades"
     - "Interesting and relevant assignments, timely feedback, connection
       between student and teacher, connection among students, meaningful
       use of time—these things motivate learning."
  TBL does a great job of addressing the 2nd point.

"Stop Telling Students to Study for Exams"
  http://chronicle.com/article/Stop-Telling-Students-to-Study/131622/
  (sorry, again fee-based). Here's one quote:
  "But this simple and familiar phrase—"study for exams"—which is widely
  regarded as a sign of responsible academic practice, actually encourages
  student behaviors and dispositions that work against the larger purpose
  of human intellectual development and learning. Rather than telling
  students to study for exams, we should be telling them to study for
  learning and understanding."

  Again, TBL does a good job in this regard. While we certainly still give
  exams, during AEs, which few seem to grade, students are engaged
  without points or other extrinsic rewards being used.

     - Bill

--
Bill Goffe
Department of Economics