From:
Cate Jerram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cate Jerram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2012 10:57:21 +1030
I am currently running a foundation Business Information Systems course using a
blend of TBL and Gamification. We're only 3 weeks into semester and it is
definitely an "alpha release" version, which the students understand, and seem
to be running with, despite the majority NOT being gamers in their private
lives.

300+ first semester, first year students divided into 3 interactive seminars in
a team-design computer lab (8-at-a-table, 144-seater). So far, so good.

I am also currently engaged in writing a theoretical paper about the pedagogy
behind the blend of TBL & Gamification to meet current student engagement
issues. A praxis based research paper is a little more challenging, since I
always have a terrible time researching my own teaching and separating out
research rigour and teaching innovation. This time, I have recruited a colleague
from Education who is observing and monitoring everything I'm doing, and will
apply a fundamentally ethnographic research design including focus groups and
interviews with my teaching team and with the students. So I'll have some
genuinely rigorous feedback on how Gamification overlaid on TBL works later in
the year. Early days yet.

In the meantime, if anyone's interested in some of the issues and mechanics for
applying it themselves,
[1] read Lee Sheldon (2012) The Multiplayer Classroom (Cengage) and
[2] watch Portnow, Floyd & Theus (2011) 'Extra Credit': Season 2 Episode 15
'Gamifying Education' http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/gamifying-education.
and
[3] feel free to contact me. Happy to share what I've learned so far.

Cate
--
Cate Jerram, PhD
University of Adelaide Business School