From:
Francis Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Francis Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:12:43 -0700
Hello colleagues,

I have appreciated watching this and other discussions about Peer Evals.
I have dropped using them altogether, but only because I haven't been
able to come up with a peer/self evaluation procedure that suites what I
perceive to be the needs.

If peer evaluation is supposed to improve metacognitive skills and add a
measure of accountability to the team and individual efforts, then I
would prefer to implement a way for students to do self AND peer
evaluations that makes them consider the extent to which they achieved
the original goals of the exercise (small scale) or the course (larger
scale). This instead of asking them to rank contributions of peers. If
the team is working well then of course they all contributed.

Assessing our selves and our peers against the goals of the work is
after all what professionals and academics have to do. We (as
professionals) rarely have to "rank" the contributions of our peers.
Instead we are measuring degree of success, and hopefully acting
appropriately upon the result of those (implicit or explicit) measures.

If I had the time to come up with a rubric that helps students honestly
assess the degree to which they (self) and their peers met the goals of
(a) individuals, (b) the team exercise, and (c) the course, I would feel
I had a good peer and self assessment process. Only then would I
consider using these assessments as part of the grading process,
probably as a multiplier to other team-based components of the grade.

Unfortunately I an not teaching presently so I don't have an opportunity
to work on this. Any thoughts?

Cheers, Francis.