From:
Jim Sibley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Sibley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 2009 07:12:18 -0700
Hi

I would worry if there is no partial credit...there is no incentive to
revisit the question solving discussion after a failed attempt....and a lot
of the value is students discussing the difficult question longer and being
forced to examine why they chose a particular wrong answer

If I was forced to get rid of partial credit....I would give zero for
scratching off all and 1 point if they got it on other scratches....this way
there is a least incentive to keep working on the question after a failed
attempt

BUT I would recommend staying with partial credit and explaining to the
students the learning opportunity afforded by partial credit

jim

On 09-10-06 3:30 AM, "Christine Kuramoto" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anyone uses the if-at in a strictly 'right or wrong'
> way rather than 3 points for correct answer, 2 on second try, 1 on third
> (or whatever other variation).  I've used the system for both the iRAT
> and tRAT, but my students are used to black and white tests, so don't
> seem to appreciate the partial credit for partial knowledge system.
>
> I'm thinking that it might be better to just say you get points if it's
> the right answer and nothing if it's wrong--that's something they
> understand.  The partial credit for partial knowledge system also tends
> to really inflate the grades (which could be considered good, but here
> just seems to give me a reputation as teacher of the class that everyone
> passes).  I get the feeling that even colleagues think that if someone's
> not failing, then the class is too easy (but have no evidence to back up
> this "feeling").
>
> Any thoughts on this?

Jim Sibley
Director
Centre for Instructional Support
Faculty of Applied Science
University of British Columbia
2208-6250 Applied Science Lane
Vancouver, BC Canada
V6T 1Z4

Phone 604.822.9241
Fax 604.822.7006

Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: http://cis.apsc.ubc.ca
e-Portfolio: http://ipeer.apsc.ubc.ca/wiki/index.php/Jim_Sibley_Portfolio

© Copyright 2009, Jim Sibley, All rights reserved The information contained
in this e-mail message and any attachments (collectively "message") is
intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient (or
recipients) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message in
error and that any review, use, distribution, or copying of this message is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail, and delete the message.