From:
Anthony Mento <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anthony Mento <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 2010 08:49:35 -0400
Hello,
I would be very much appreciate hearing from anyone with successful TBL experience in MBA and/or Executive MBA Org Behavior courses.  I have used a Harvard Case-based participant oriented approach for nearly 30 years.  I typically cover in a 12 week course  6 topics with 2 assigned conceptual/practical readings per week for each case.  An important  goal of the case analysis is to get students to apply key course concepts from the readings to the analysis of the case via case questions, typically :  1.  what is the problem; 2.  why did it occur;  3.  what should be done now?

Students work on the same  team throughout the course. About week four in a typical class, I have a given team facilitate the assigned case for 60 minutes; this means engaging the class in a way as to develop good discussion, controversy, and mental hand to hand combat. Presenting student teams are told to encourage active class participation and are not to present ppt slides.  After week 4, a given team facilitates the assigned case for the rest of the semester.

My questions are:

1. With the RAT, is it necessary to have one for each set of readings or should 1 RAT cover 2 weeks of reading materials?

2.  How does one analyze the case (deal with the what is the problem and why did it happen)  without jumping right in to the decision - what should you do now question that TBL seems to advocate?  i have specific concerns about the application part of the TBL when using complex Harvard cases.

Thank you very much.

Tony Mento
Loyola University Maryland
410.617.1507