From:
Bill Goffe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 11:48:26 -0400
First, I'm new to TBL this semester, but I'm thinking I might have an idea
here. I don't know how to score it, but I'm thinking that everyone has at
least one thing they could improve upon. Maybe ask each team member to
write one way each of the other team members could do better?

        - Bill

Joanna asked:

> I encountered that exact problem with regards to the peer evaluation in
> TBL. I also had set it up so that they had to give one person in the team
> more than 10 and one less than ten and an individual's score was the
> average from their team. Almost the entire class (and I had about 48 teams
> - all 2nd year medical students), "gamed it" (so that the average for each
> person worked out as 10). So I wouldn't recommend that set-up!
>
> This term, I'm requiring them to instead give written positive feedback for
> each team member, based on criteria that the team has pre-established.
> Attendance at that session and the provision of the feedback will gain them
> the points associated with the peer evaluation (which is just 2 out of an
> overall course 260).
>
> If anyone has suggestions on how to get them to give REAL feedback (and not
> just: "you are great, what a good job", etc, etc) that would be much
> appreciated. Is this reluctance to provide constructive but critical
> feedback just because they don't like doing it - or do they just not know
> how to provide this?
>
> Joanna
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> J.C. Rayner, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor of Microbiology
> Department of Microbiology,
> School of Medicine,
> St. George's University,
> Grenada, West Indies.
> Tel:  (00) 1 473 444 4175 Ext. 2100
> Fax: (00) 1 473 439 1845
> Email: [log in to unmask]
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

         | Bill Goffe                 [log in to unmask]          |
         | Department of Economics    voice: (315) 312-3444     |
         | SUNY Oswego                fax:   (315) 312-5444     |
         | 416 Mahar Hall             http://cook.rfe.org       |
         | Oswego, NY  13126                                    |
| "There's been an enormous rise in compassion for the disabled in Rome."   |
|   -- Peter Samuel, on how drivers in Rome can avoid tolls in much of      |
|      central Rome by carrying the disabled. "The Big City; A New Toll?    |
|      No, It's Just Value Pricing," John Tierney, New York Times, 2/19/02. |