From:
"Levine, Ruth" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Levine, Ruth
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2012 01:11:41 +0000
I think its a good idea to start out with teams of 6 and 7, since then disruptions will generally only drop you down into the range of teams of 5.

Recently I've been looking at the relationship between team size and team performance, and there fairly strong data supporting Dean's finding that teams of 4 are underpowered. While a team of 4 might get "lucky" by having a particularly strong individual member, in general teams of 4 are at a major disadvantage, and it can be problematic to leave students in a group that small.

Whatever intervention you decide upon (getting volunteers or recruits) I think that finding new members for an underpowered team is the best intervention. If you know you will lose members, start with a large team to begin with so that team can absorb the losses.

Ruth

Ruth E. Levine MD

Clarence Ross Miller Professor of Psychiatry
The University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Blvd, Route 0193
Galveston, Texas 77555-0193
409-747-9675 (Phone) 409-747-9677 (Fax)