From:
Tammy Tobin-Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tammy Tobin-Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 10:08:29 -0500
Hi folks,

I started using TBL in my genetics class this fall, and had wonderful
team rapport for the first time EVER.  Yey!  However, I have avoided
public posting of team scores for many of the reasons already stated
in this topic thread.  I've also read (or I think I've read) that
such competition can be particularly disconcerting/disadvantaging to
women and some members of groups that are traditionally
underrepresented in biology.  Can anyone provide more insight into
studies that assess the impact of competition in the classroom on
specific groups of students?

As a compromise, I've posted the class's individual RAT average
compared to the class's team RAT average (often quite a bit higher).
The students already know that they are doing better individually as
a result of the group work, but I think it causes even more buy-in
when they can see that the phenomenon is class-wide.   As I said, the
team cohesion in this class was quite remarkable, so I don't think we
missed much by not fostering inter-team competition - but perhaps it
was an unusual class.

Tammy Tobin-Janzen
Susquehanna University