From:
Bill Goffe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 2010 00:32:05 -0400
Eddy -

I've got a fair number of thoughts as I teach economics with TBL
(hopefully other economists will chime in).

I've only taught an intro course with TBL once; it didn't go that well, to
be honest (I do use it for upper division courses and by and large I'm
pleased). I'm pretty sure that in part this was due to their expectations
in what a college course is -- they expected lecture and I didn't do a
good job explaining why I selected TBL. Now I show a video on TBL to
classes (I like the one that Michael Sweet provided,
https://webspace.utexas.edu/mss662/TBL/ or
http://magenta.cit.utexas.edu/largeclasses/#tbl ). Also, I now ask this
set of questions the very first thing the very first day (got this idea
here, but another economist, Jennifer Imazeki, suggested that I take
another look at it, and I did):

  Thinking of what you want to get out of your college education and
  this course, which of the following is most important to you?
    1. Acquiring information (facts, principles, concepts)
    2. Learning how to use information in new situations
    3. Developing lifelong learning skills

I'd hazard a guess that many of your students might answer 1 (at least
according to the book "The College Fear Factor" (might be worth a look on
its own) by Rebecca Cox, junior college students tend to see college as
acquiring facts; also, my students who answer 1 tend to be freshman or
transfer students). I then point that facts are really easy to acquire
these days (I pull out my smart phone...) and then talk about the others.
I sometimes even pull out
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2008/01/23/employers which talks about
how much employers value critical thinking skills in college grads and how
they think that they're deficient in it.

Key here is that I describe how TBL helps with critical thinking.

I know that another economist, Paul Hettler, had equivocal results with
TBL with this class (he used a few more metrics and wrote a paper). I
don't recall the reasons he gave.

Also, I've found that it took some time for me to be comfortable with TBL
in the classroom. On this point, I'd definitely say that you should give
it some time time. It seems to take longer still to develop good good
in-class application questions. They need to be hard to be challenging,
but still doable. I do some research on economic misconceptions of
students in this class ( http://cook.rfe.org/Misconceptions.pdf ) and
their views are often discordant with what we're trying to teach them.

I too find that I'm not so good in my TBL courses to get student to
prepare for class (and I agree that it is very important). I call the
application exercises "homeworks" but that didn't seem to help much. I'm
curious myself what others do in this regard. Student study time seems to
matter a lot; "The Causal Effect of Studying on Academic Performance"
http://www.bepress.com/bejeap/vol8/iss1/art14?sending=10241 is really
clear on this. In traditional classes I sometime separate out exams by who
can answer questions directly from the book and those who can't and the
difference is very striking (25-30 points difference in the median between
the two groups while the questions are worth much less). But, that likely
doesn't work as well with TBL as they've presumably read the book for the
RATs.

Finally, a group of economists put in for a session on TBL at an upcoming
conference on teaching economics that'll be held in California this
summer. No clue if we'll get in, but see
http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AEA/AEACEE/Conference/Call_for_Papers.htm .
Finally, there's an economist fairly near you, Mark Maier
[log in to unmask] , who teaches in a similar setting (Glendale Community
College). While he doesn't do TBL, he's a real expert in pedagogy.

      - Bill

--
Bill Goffe
Department of Economics