From:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2011 15:54:24 -0600
Nancy,

Course evaluations can go either way. In fact, it is far more common
for them to improve.

The starting point for getting good ones is making sure that you proved
a very clear explanation FROM STUDENTS' PERSPECTIVE of:
>why you are using TBL (dispensing facts won't prepare them for
ANYTHING except taking mid-term and final exams).
>what they will need to do differently (prepare before class)
>why preparing before class will pay-off for THEM including at least
the following items:
-they won't have to do group work outside of class
-unless they are unable or unwilling to express their point of view,
less prepared group members can't drag them down.
-they WILL develop team skills (doesn't happen when groups
divide-and-conquer).
-they WILL have the opportunity to practice using course concepts to
solve the same kinds of problems they will face in the future (doesn't
happen if all they get in class is listening to you).
-they WILL get your guidance and input on their choices in relation to
a variety of significant application problems (can't happen with
lectures).
>how TBL with affect their grades.  (Note: this often the biggest issue
and you have a clear idea about what you are willing to do to assure
that they will be treated fairly.)
>how TBL will affect their board scores--when appropriate and including
the following.
-TBL NEVER results in lower board scores and usually improves
them--sometimes by as much as 50 percentile points.
-when they are preparing for the RATs they are also preparing for the
boards and there will be MUCH less need for last-minute cramming.
-because they will be USING the concepts, they are much more likely to
remember them BEYOND the boards.
One caution, however, is that you have to DELIVER with respect to the
added value.  Specifically, you are making a deal*you study before class
and I will make sure you have the opportunity to engage in activities
that will help you understand WHY the material is important and HOW to
use it to help you do a better job of what you will be doing in the
future.   That means that you MUST HAVE GOOD 4-S APPLICATION
ASSIGNMENTS.  That’s how you pay them for their extra effort.  In
fact, having really good applications is ultimately the difference
maker.  If students get to see WHY the material is important, everything
pretty much falls into place for the vast majority.

Further, reinforcing the above points AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY ALONG THE
WAY also pays big dividends.  For example, after we’ve done a good
application, I’ll frequently say something like, “I want you to
think about what’s just happened here.  If this had been a lecture
course, you’d have been listening to me talk but, because you put in
the effort to prepare for the RAT, you’ve had the opportunity to
practice* and it’s a whole lot more enjoyable for both us. Thanks for
doing your part. “

In addition, I strongly recommend creating opportunities for students
to reflect on whir experience.  For example, about a third of the way
into a course I’ll often ask students to write downs an answer to the
question, “What has been the single biggest difference between your
experience in this class as compared to the majority of other classes
you have taken.  Then I have them talk in their teams and come up with a
team answer and hand in their team answer on a 3/5 card so I can
simultaneously display them on a document camera.  I typically get
things like:
-lots of teamwork
-we never know what’s going to happen
-much more emphasis on applications
-it’s more active (and/or more fun)
-we don’t have very many notes
Then I’ll say something like, “I want you to think about whether
these things are good are bad” (most are universally accepted as
good).  When something is perceived as bad, I explore why.  Doing so
always enables me to understand students’ concerns so I can deal with
them either at that point, which is usually the case, or in revising the
course for the next term.

-----
Larry K. Michaelsen
Professor of Management
University of Central Missouri
Dockery 400G
Warrensburg, MO 64093

660/429-9873 voice <---NEW ATT cell phone
660/543-8465 fax

>>> Nancy Sohler <[log in to unmask]> 01/26/11 1:47 PM >>>
I just got my course evaluations from my first shot at TBL in an
epidemiology course for undergraduate medical students.

Almost all of the students asked for more lectures and more
explanations
of the reading material.  I am looking forward to going to the TBL
conference soon, but have others been rated harshly because of so much
reliance on self-learning techniques?