From:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2010 19:44:16 -0600
I completely agree with Peter.  Anything less would be somewhat like expecting students to internalize TBL from a lecture about it.  In fact I go a step further.  My test drive RAT is over the syllabus and the first application is applying what they've read (and have been tested about) as they set grade weights for the class.  One other application that I like is applying the 4-S's by having them decide on the single most compelling reason for using the procedures through which their teams were formed.

Larry

-----
Larry K. Michaelsen
Professor of Management
University of Central Missouri
Dockery 400G
Warrensburg, MO 64093

660/429-9873 voice <---NEW ATT cell phone
660/543-8465 fax

>>> Peter Balan <[log in to unmask]> 11/28/10 6:57 PM >>>
Dear Bill and Amanda,
I think that the best way to explain TBL to a class is to give them the experience. I give students a “test drive” (with just five questions) in the very first class immediately after having formed teams. Teams use all the materials as I step them through a PowerPoint presentation that explains in detail what they need to do. I also support this with a detailed website that describes the TBL process and rationale.
Please contact me direct if you would like a copy of my presentation.
Regards, Peter Balan
(teaching entrepreneurship)
University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia