From:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2008 00:17:49 -0500
Bernie,

The primary motivation for inventing TBL was when I was faced with having to increase my class sizes from 40 to 120.  Some have had really great results in classes of up to 400.  Over the years, I've probably taught more TBL classes of up to 240 and more classes 100 or more than classes of 30 or less.  Also, when you are careful about design issues, larger classes can actually be more effective than smaller ones--even in situations when you have fixed seating in a tiered classroom but, when you make mistakes, you really learn what they are.  Chapter 11 of the 2004 book presents some of the evidence and also highlights the key things you need to be aware of in teaching larger classes.

Larry

>>> bmillar <[log in to unmask]> 07/29/08 2:10 AM >>>
Dear TBLers

Could you please let me know  in what size classes you are using TBL and how
successfully TBL works in very big classes. The point of this exercise is
that in September I am going to deliver a paper at Stellenbosch University
on my experience this year of incorporating TBL as part of creating a
"community of co-learning" in my class where the HE teacher is a co-learner
with the students.

I know that there will be questions about class size and protests that my
classes are very small (26) and what about a class of 100 or 200-300. Do any
of you have these huge classes and how do you cope with TBL? Can TBL work in
a huge class seated in a big lecture theatre? I would like to report to the
conference what actual practitioners of TBL in big classes have to say.

Thanks in advance for your co-operation.

Regards

Bernie Millar

CPUT, Bellville, South Africa.

--
Larry K. Michaelsen
Professor of Management

[log in to unmask]  <---PLEASE NOTE NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS !!!
660/543-4124 voice
660/543-8465 fax