From:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 2009 11:03:12 -0500
Christine,

I'm confused.  It sounds like you use IF-ATs for both the individual and team tests.  (If you do, how do you get around the fact that they already have the correct answers before they take the team test?

I STRONGLY recommend giving partial credit on both the individual tests (see question #13 in the "How to Implement..." question group on the FAQ link at <www.teambasedlearning.org> and on the team IF-AT's.  Over time, I have come to realize that giving partial credit on the tests provides the opportunity to get the kind of feedback that clearly speeds up the team-development process.

I think the reason that your students don't appreciate the partial credit for partial knowledge system is that you aren't providing enough of an incentive.  I recommend using a points scheme that places a higher value on finding the IFAT star the first time (i.e., I use 4, 2, 1, 0...you lose half the credit with each unsuccessful scratch).  I think only losing a point lessens the cost of an incorrect answer may be watering down the value of finding a correct answer enough that some may not be taking the test as seriously as they should.

Larry

--
Larry K. Michaelsen
Professor of Management

[log in to unmask]  <---PLEASE NOTE NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS !!!
660/543-4124 voice
660/543-8465 fax

>>> Christine Kuramoto <[log in to unmask]> 10/06/09 5:30 AM >>>
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone uses the if- at in a strictly 'right or wrong'
way rather than 3 points for correct answer, 2 on second try, 1 on third
(or whatever other variation).  I've used the system for both the iRAT
and tRAT, but my students are used to black and white tests, so don't
seem to appreciate the partial credit for partial knowledge system.

I'm thinking that it might be better to just say you get points if it's
the right answer and nothing if it's wrong-- that's something they
understand.  The partial credit for partial knowledge system also tends
to really inflate the grades (which could be considered good, but here
just seems to give me a reputation as teacher of the class that everyone
passes).  I get the feeling that even colleagues think that if someone's
not failing, then the class is too easy (but have no evidence to back up
this "feeling").

Any thoughts on this?

*******
Christine Kuramoto, Assistant Professor: Medical English
Kyushu University, Department of Medical Education
Faculty of Medical Sciences
3- 1- 1 Maidashi, Higashi- ku, Fukuoka, 812- 8582 Japan
Phone: (+81)92- 642- 6186 Fax: (+81)92- 642- 6188
E- mail: [log in to unmask] u.ac.jp