From:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:13:47 -0600
Francine,

I think you made a wise decision and are in good shape for your next
class.  What your are experiencing is unusual, but it does happen.  When
it does, the real problem is usually that there is a very strong team
member who is NOT the one doing the negotiation. The key to resolving
the blockade is getting that person in the position where they are
feeling the heat from the other teams.  In most cases, that happens by
simply sending the reps back to the teams for a consultation.  On the
rare occasions when that doesn't work, the approach that I've used is
having all of the teams replace their representatives.  Once, many years
ago, I had to replace the reps twice, but once the key person was in the
hot seat, they folded right up and a decision was made.

Larry

--
Larry K. Michaelsen
Professor of Management

>>> "Smith, David W" <[log in to unmask]> 01/23/07 5:14 PM >>>
This hasn't happened to me since I no longer let the class decide on
these weights.

Do you want to do something simple or complicated? I assume you want to
avoid appearing arbitrary, even if you are being arbitrary, which I
think you will have to do some of.

Business schools teach negotiation, which has a large literature. Since
you are teaching genetics

One approach, which could still be implemented, is to give your own
choices of weights, then give a deadline. If there is no agreement on