From:
"Levine, Ruth" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Levine, Ruth
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2012 12:42:37 +0000
Since we do TBL in the context of a clerkship, and so much of the grading in individual, our TBL component weighs heavily on the teamwork.

Our grading rubric is as follows:

TBL is worth 15% of overall grade

IRAT: 30%

GRAT: 70%

peer evaluation (Fink method): percent multiplier modifies GRAT

Applications: not graded (we used to grade them, but arguing tended to be more about points then concepts, so we dropped the points and discussion improved)

However, we also have the policy that the team takes the final summative "shelf exam" as a team. This is worth 35% of the grade with the breakdown as follows:

Individual performance: 70%

Team performance: 30%

Students also have to obtain a "passing" score on the individual component to pass the course...in other words, the team score can't rescue them if they don't do well individually.

When I first started doing TBL I had the teams determine grade weights. After I switched to a "percent multiplier" peer evaluation system the only question was individual vs team weight and since students always chose the highest team and lowest individual I stopped the grade weight exercise since students would always choose the same ratio anyway.

Larry's point of making sure that the individual is "high enough" is one I have wondered about recently. I think that 30% is about as low as I would want to go with medical students. With undergraduates, I might even want to go higher. But I think its essential that the team weight is high to ensure that the students are motivated to contribute for the sake of the team. We have conducted focus groups with students and they tell us that they prepare not as much for themselves but because they don't want to let their teammates down. That tells me alot about the power of team accountability.

Ruth

Ruth E. Levine MD

Clarence Ross Miller Professor of Psychiatry
The University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Blvd, Route 0193
Galveston, Texas 77555-0193
409-747-9675 (Phone) 409-747-9677 (Fax)