From:
"Tobin, Tammy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tobin, Tammy
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2010 10:09:55 -0400
Hi Ron,

It seems to me that case studies could be a great way to solve your dilemma.
You could provide the students with an engineering problem (one with
multiple correct solutions) that they would have to solve - supporting their
proposed solution using the math you teach them in exercises like the one
you describe below.

Here's a database with tons of case studies:

Engineering Case Studies from Carlton University
http://www.civeng.carleton.ca/ECL/

Best,

Tammy