From:
Gary Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 2015 06:15:48 +0000
Hi All

I teach accounting at The University of Sydney (Australia) using TBL in the way outlined by LarryM. This has been going since 2009. One of the differences Larry commented to me between some TBL he knew and ours in accounting is that there is a close coupling between the questions in RAT and their application in a scenario. As a result I have spent considerable time honing the questions so the distractors became meaningful indicators for diagnosing thinking and knowledge errors. Enrolment per semester has risen from 300 to 500 to 750 over recent years and we have classes of no more than 50. The I RAT uses the Apperson scanner. The T RAT uses the 'scratchie'. Both RATs and the application of knowledge earn marks. The individual mark is low (say 1% each for 10 weeks of three elements I RAT, T RAT, and application) to make the risk-reward profile what we thought was unfavourable.

Unhappily, we have found instances where technology has been used to photograph and post RAT sheets to websites which earn money from students downloading. Some changes were made in response including (1) changing the questions so they now are more like traditional multiple choice questions with keywords like "most", "least" etc  (2) separating the question from the answer by displaying the questions on overhead screen and only handing out the answer sheet (3) banning technology (4) emphasising ethical behaviour with a class declaration. (This will become a class ticket and workbook in 2016). Unhappily this has not proved sufficient, and we recently had our first impersonation.

One area of difficulty has been that we have been unable to gain a sense of the prevalence of cheating. The faulty aggregate self-reports of dishonest behaviour in the literature mean that there is no 'rate' against which to compare ourselves. Some of my Fermi Method calculations suggest around 30% of the class can be cheating (although this is 20% too high based on the stats I calculated last weekend). So my first question is do any of you have a sense of the rate of cheating? The second question is for those of you using the RAT method, is, have you any suggestions?

Warm regards/gary

Dr Gary R Oliver, CPA
B A Anthrop. & Philosophy (Macq); M Com Acctg & Info Sys (UNSW); Grad Dip Soc Sc (UNE), Grad Cert Higher Ed (Usyd), M Ed Higher Ed (USyd); PhD Economics (USyd)
Discipline of Accounting
The University of Sydney Business School
      ,-_|\       Building H69, Office 310
     /        \      Corner Codrington Street
     \_,-._*      & Rose Street
                  Darlington 2006
           @      Australia
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Location details when travelling from the city
- On Parramatta Rd at Broadway, turn south into City Road
- In City Rd, ignore the Cleveland Street intersection
- In City Rd, at the Wentworth Building, turn left into Maze Avenue
- Maze avenue becomes Codrington Street
- Continue ahead past the Aquatic Centre (on left)
- Building H69 is on the right
- Parking is available in nearby streets
(Some is free and some is paid)
- University Map: http://db.auth.usyd.edu.au/directories/map/largemap00a.html
- University Website:
www.sydney.edu.au
- University of Sydney Business School Website:
www.sydney.edu.au/business
University of Sydney Business School Student Information Office
(Timetables, Special Consideration)
Merewether Building
Enter from City Road side
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Phone: 9351-3076
Executive Officer for the Discipline of Accounting:
Kate Doyle
Room 347, Building H69
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Phone: 02 9351 6587