From:
"Gersich, Frank" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gersich, Frank
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2014 13:18:08 +0000
Ken,

Does your grading rubric clearly indicate that you are looking for analysis and those key topics -- descriptors which emphasize this at the high score end and descriptions representing the "memory dump" approach at  the low end of the scale?

Does your grading rubric identify focus as a criteria -- descriptors would emphasize summary or significant topics vs. listing of every topic in the time period?

Do you have a page limit (this may limit the ability for brain dumps)?

I'm using the CATME.org site to have students complete the peer evaluation.  This is my third semester and so far it has provided better peer evaluation feedback than submission of evaluation forms on paper.  The only other thought on the freeloader problem is to include the option that you (or a TA) could randomly interview one of the team members to validate the group's submission.  I realize this would take time and may not be feasible given the class size, but it is one way I have used in the past to ensure that all team members understand the material and have contributed to the assignment (particularly with out-of-class activities).

Frank

Dr. Frank Gersich
Associate Dean, Teaching and Learning Resources Coordinator, Accreditation Liaison Officer, Chief Licensure Officer, and Professor of Accounting
Dept. of Accounting
309-457-2119 office
Monmouth College
700 East Broadway