From:
"J.Aires de Sousa" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J.Aires de Sousa
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2012 21:02:17 +0000
Hi Larry

Here go my answers to your questions.

On 01/27/2012 02:18 PM, Larry Michaelsen wrote:
> Based on my experience, what you describe is extremely rare (although
> it does happen). If you've had it happen before (which it sounds like
> it has), part of the problem might be some aspect of your TBL
> implementation. Before I would offer a recommendation, I'd like to
> know several things that might explain the outcome:
> 1) How were the RATs conducted (iRAT in-class? Did you use IF-ATs?
> What were the average iRAT and tRAT scores? What was the pattern of
> scores within this specific team? How much did the iRAT and tRAT
> scores "count"?

iRATs were conducted out of class via the Internet (we use the Moodle
platform, with time limit of 1hr). We use IF-ATs for tRATs. Average iRAT
in this team was 12.8 and average tRAT was 15.8. The iRAT scores (scale
0-20) within this team (average of the best 4 of 5 iRATs) were 12.5, 13,
13.5, 12, 13.5, and 12.5. iRAT count 25% of the final "TBL score" for
each student. The final grade for a student is 40% exam + 60% TBL. tRAT
are counted together with applications for the final team score.

> 2) What did other team members' reasons for giving her a lower grade?

I've not asked.

> 3) What was the pattern of scores within the team?

108, 94, 98, 122, 68, 110

> 4) How much did the peer evaluation affect the grade?

The individual team score is the team score x peer evaluation / 100.

> 5) Did members' final exam scores affect other team members?

No.