From:
Dianne York <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dianne York <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2010 04:37:34 -0700
Larry,

You are correct that using TBL has been learning process for me, and I did not
go "whole hog" that first semester. Instead I have incorporated the elements
gradually, for better or for worse, and gained confidence with the system as
I've gone along. The most encouraging factor was that my students embraced
the use of teams very quickly. The most remarkable change that I've seen is
in attendance rates. Previously about 60% of students had excessive
unexcused absences, now it's about 30%.

I only started using IF-AT forms this semester, and since you brought it up, I
have a question for you. In the past, I used two copies of the RAT: one for the
individuals and one for the whole team. I realize there are multiple drawbacks
to that. But I had no problem getting the students to hand in all copies for a
grade.

Now students turn in an answer sheet for their iRAT (no access to scantron,
but I'm working on it). They keep the question page to refer to for the tRAT.
Unfortunately sometimes they don't turn in the question page. I have four
sections of this course and use the same questions, but different IF-AT forms
(different order of answer choices). My concern is sharing the questions with
students from other classes. I've warned them that I will consider it academic
dishonesty, but I know sometimes they just forget. In every case, they are
able to pull it out of a folder or notebook, when they realize everyone else got
their iRAT scores back but them.

Suggestions?

BTW, this is only a minor problem compared to the superior results I'm seeing
with the IF-ATs.

Dianne York, M.S., MT(ASCP)
Lecturer, Biology
Lincoln University, PA