Team-Based Learning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2009 18:14:12 -0500
I've found it useful to have teams evaluate the work of other teams on
certain activities.  It helps to give them some criteria for evaluation,
however.

As an example, in a resource economics class, I give the students a news
article about some current event in the timber industry, usually covering
a breadth of impacts such as employment, mills, transportation, housing,
etc.  Then I ask them to draw a picture to illustrate the impact of a
policy or to illustrate the change over time discussed in the article in
"before and after" pictures.  Then the groups evaluate each other in terms
of clarity and comprehensiveness.  I warn them a day ahead of time to
bring colored pencils or pens and I give them poster paper to draw on.  We
post them around the room and the results can be quite entertaining.  They
all seem to enjoy it and they are more careful in their work, knowing the
other groups will be evaluating them and their work will be on public
display.

Molly Espey
Clemson University