From:
Karen Milligan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen Milligan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2012 16:59:34 +0000
There are videos on the TBL webpage, but I really think the best way to teach about TBL is to use TBL. I have done this and it really works. I did it in an hour workshop.

  1.  I used one page of the TBL overview handout from the webpage by Jim Sibley. I gave faculty 5 minutes to read over it.
  2.  Did a RAP on it – both team and individual.  - It was very short but it got the experience of what TBL was like.
  3.  Then I did a TAP by having make a concept map of the basic ideas of TBL using the back side of the TBL overview handout – this gives an extension to the idea of TBL.
  4.  Put the concept map up and did a gallery walk using post-it notes (based on ideas from chapter in new TBL book – Team Based Learning in Social Sciences and Humanities.

While these were not the full blown TBL it gave faculty a flavor, it was active learning and it got some interest. I am doing this activity again at a conference next month – will send resources if anyone is interested. There is not enough information here to actually use TBL but it allows faculty to feel the power of team work.

Dr. Karen Milligan, Associate Professor
Box 71874
Carson-Newman College
Jefferson City, TN 37760