From:
"Sweet, Michael S" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sweet, Michael S
Date:
Sun, 19 Jun 2011 16:42:20 -0500
Ah, the trademark question.

Technically, the answer is "yes":  we use a (TM) because Larry has conferred with a lawyer and filed the necessary papers.  He did this because we USED to call it "team learning" and didn't worry about it, and then he learned that after doing a workshop at one place, the people there turned around and trademarked "team learning" for themselves.

Basically, we've done it to prevent that from happening again.  And, if someone gets *really* aggressive about promoting bad practices and calling them "team-based learning" we have a leg to stand on to ask them to stop.  I don't foresee that ever happening, but ya know, it can't hurt to have that in our hip pocket.

As someone in the Social Sciences/Humanities myself, I get nervous when corporate/commercial language finds its way into educational materials and conversations.  So, if it makes you wonder, I totally understand.

-M