From:
Bill Goffe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 2011 17:05:12 -0400
Michael said (in part):

>    So, that raises for me an interesting question about what kinds of
>    teachers might work better in PI and what kinds of teachers might work
>    better in TBL?

I use both and I'd argue that while there might be teacher differences,
other issues matter as much, if not more. First, TBL Application Exercises
overlap to a significant degree with PI's ConcepTests (I'd say that AEs
are broader).

I use PI in an intro to macroeconomics GenEd class of 300, mostly freshman
and sophomores.  For a class this size with students expecting lecture and
not being terribly interested in the course, I'm not sure that I could get
TBL to work either administratively or have student buy-in. I have not
problem with either with my intermediate level-courses that are smaller.

    - Bill

--
Bill Goffe
Department of Economics