Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 2010 22:15:09 -0500
Hi Kathy,

I've been using TBL for about 8 years now and I can think of two difficult
situations, although I have to admit not quite as extreme as you describe.

In one case, a student complained that TBL was bringing her grade down.
She had no comment when I showed her that her grade was actually brought
up by the team component of her grade, in spite of not getting stellar
peer evaluations.

In the other case, the student was also my advisee and turned out to have
actual psychological issues and had been off of her medication for about
six months, so was really messed up relative to when she took her meds.  I
asked her permission to address her teammates in her absence, just to say
that she had some personal problems and was having some difficulties she
was working through.  She was happy for me to do that and her teammates
were more supportive of her when she returned the next class.

So don't feel like you are the problem at all!  People have all kinds of
issues and problems they have to work through and we can't all be
psychologists or mind-readers.  The fact that everyone else in the class
is enjoying TBL says a lot.

Molly Espey
Applied Economics and Statistics
Clemson University