From:
Bill Goffe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2014 13:06:39 -0400
I'm giving a presentation about TBL to our STEM group in a few weeks. I'll
likely use the presentation package that Jim Sibley put together (thanks!) but
there is an obvious question that will likely come up that I don't know
the answer to. What is the largest size class one can use TBL in, assuming
you have a sufficient number of people in the classroom to help run it?
Class sizes of ~350 are common here and one classroom seats up to 700.

On "a sufficient number of people in the classroom to help," our STEM
group has an active "Learning Assistant" program where undergrads assist
with Peer Instruction and similar tasks. In some 500 student classes there
are 30 learning assistants. The semester before they go into the classroom
they go through a 1.5 hour course. It is modeled after the LA program at
the University of Colorado at Boulder.

On large class TBL I'm thinking that teams could report out with clickers.
Perhaps the most important aspect is the ability for LAs and the
instructor to be able talk to teams during class. Thus, every third row
might be vacated to ease access. But, that's more a guess than something
based on experience. Also, I'm thinking that in such a large class it
might be difficult to get a sufficient number of students to explain their
team's thinking.

Thoughts? Experiences?

    - Bill

--