From:
Sophie Sparrow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sophie Sparrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:28:55 -0400
Hi Kent,

I've used TBL in a law school course with 9 students. Two teams - 1 of
4, 1 of 5. As Tammy said, it meant that I was able to spend a lot of
time working with the individual teams.
I'm now using TBL in a legal writing class of 24 students (3 teams of 8
each).
We meet 2x week.
One day we meet as a whole.
The other my TA and I meet with each team for 30 minutes.
It is working really well.

Sophie Sparrow

Sophie M. Sparrow
Professor of Law
Franklin Pierce Law Center
2 White Street
Concord, NH 03301
603-513-5205
603.225-9647 FAX

>>> "Tobin-Janzen, Tammy" <[log in to unmask]> 9/18/2008 10:23 AM >>>
Hi Kent,

My TBL genetics class is capped at 20 students due to lab space
constraints.
I don*t use any special adaptations.  Actually, I think TBL may be
easier to
implement with fewer students, and I can*t envision a ¼lower limit*.
In
small classes, you have the opportunity to work very closely, and
regularly,
with each team.  The only potential pitfall I can think of is that if
you
have one team that is a problem (out of a total of only 5 or so teams),
it
can have a significant impact on the entire class.  Having said that,
after
I made the colossal mistake of letting students choose their own teams
during the first year of my foray into TBL (bad, bad me), I really have
not
had a problem team.

Good luck!

Tammy

On 9/18/08 9:52 AM, "Kent Fisher" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The astronomy class I'm planning to use TBL in has a maximum
enrollment of 24
> students (I can stretch it by a few). I'm wondering if anyone on the
list uses
> TBL in classes this size (or smaller), and, if so, what adaptations
have been
> tried. Are there special pitfalls to be avoided in a class like this?
Later