From:
Sandy Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandy Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 2010 00:29:01 +0800
Dear Karen,

We are one of the schools that have a 50/50 split between individual vs team performance on the course grade.  We are not trying to create high "discrimination" among the grades so much as facilitate learning.  But we do see average total scores that range from about 75-95.  But, we watch the IRAT scores very carefully.  This tells us who is preparing well (or not).  If someone is struggling (say consistently below 60%) with the preparation for the IRAT - then we talk with them and see if there are issues impeding their performance.  (it could be material driven too - not just student, but we try to assess where the problem is).  We also look at GRAT performance to identify if teams as struggling.  If a team score significantly lower than the rest of the teams (even if it is an ok score), we also talk with them about that too - what is going on in the team).

Regarding preparation for USMLE - we give the comprehensive basic science exam (CBSE) to help students identify the areas they need to work on.  Now we have an advantage because of the Duke curriculum and timing of step 1.  Basic science content done in Y1 (take CBSE first time at end), Y2 is their clerkships (take CBSE second time at end) and in y3 which is a research year they can use the previous 2 year CBSE results to guide their study before taking Step 1.  So they don't have to take Step 1 until middle/end of Y3.

Hope that helps.

Sandy

Sandy COOK, PhD | Senior Associate Dean, Curriculum Development |
Medical Education, Research, and Evaluation (MERE) |
Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School Singapore | Khoo Teck Puat Building | 8 College Road Singapore |169857 |
W: (65) 6516 8722| F: (65) 6227 2698 |
email: [log in to unmask] | web:  http://www.duke-nus.edu.sg;

Administrative Executive: Belinda Yeo | [log in to unmask] | 6516-8511

Important:  This email is confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify us immediately; you should not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person.  Thank you.